(WellnessNova.com) - Earthing, also known as grounding, delivers many health benefits to both body and mind. This simple practice delivers energy from the Earth, especially in the form of electrons, which help to counter many of the stresses of life. Earthing helps our bodies to balance physically, psychologically, and energetically. You have probably noticed how wonderful and peaceful you feel after being outdoors for any period of time—especially barefoot. It wasn’t all in your head.
What is Earthing?
Whenever you walk barefoot on your lawn in the new spring grass, you are Earthing. Digging your toes in the sand at the beach, is Earthing. Any time you work in your garden barefoot, you are Earthing. Ever sleep or sit on the ground while camping? That’s Earthing, too.
Earthing is walking, sitting or lying directly on the soil, grass, sand, rocks, or concrete. It’s amazingly simple, enjoyable, and best of all, it’s free and readily available.
How do I do Earthing to achieve the greatest benefits?
It is preferable that Earthing be done barefoot, since modern rubber soled footwear inhibits the flow of energy from the Earth, decreasing the benefits. It’s best to come in direct contact with the Earth, whenever possible.
Earthing can also be done by sitting in a chair outdoors and placing your bare feet on the ground. Some advocate the use of Earthing sheets, which are devices that can be placed on your bed, to simulate the experience of Earthing outdoors.
Even a few minutes can be beneficial, but the greatest benefits are achieved by being in contact with the Earth for at least 30-40 minutes a day. The best thing to do is to get outside and be on the Earth as much as you can, even if it’s only for minutes a day.
What are the benefits of Earthing?
You may already know that being close to the Earth leaves you feeling great, but what are the known benefits? Have a look a few things Earthing can do for you.
- Reduced pain and inflammation, including chronic pain. Many people say they simply feel less pain while Earthing, particularly when they follow the practice regularly. In a study done in 2012, 82% of the participants who used grounding equipment to simulate Earthing showed improvement from muscle stiffness and pain, while 74% showed had relief from chronic back and joint pain. No one in the control group showed any relief in these areas.
- Improved sleep. Have you ever noticed you fall asleep faster and sleep more deeply after spending the day outside? The same 2012 study showed that Earthing improved quality of sleep for 93% of the participants.
- Improved sense of well-being. Being outdoors simply makes you feel better about life. There’s something about being in contact with the Earth that fills us with a deep sense of peace and well-being. Of course, the improved sleep and pain relief that comes with Earthing helps with our sense of well-being, too!
- Reduced stress. Reduced cortisol levels in studies seem to show that Earthing reduces our stress levels. Cortisol is the hormone that pumps through our bodies during moments of stress. It suppresses the immune system during the fight or flight response. When levels reduce, the body is able to rest and heal.
- Improved blood sugar balance. Several studies, including this one, have shown that Earthing has a beneficial effect on blood glucose, helping to balance and stabilize it.
- Improved ability to cope with EMF and electro-magnetic sensitivity. Earthing helps to bring balance to our system, including our energy system. This can help to reduce the overload of EMF interference our bodies come in contact with every day, contributing to better sleep, less pain, and a sense of ease.
- Increased energy. When you make Earthing a practice, you may notice that your energy levels increase. This isn’t the kind of energy you get from a cup of coffee, but a peaceful, relaxed energy.
Earthing in the great outdoors is surely one of the easiest ways to improve your health and sense of well-being. Nature is right outside your front door, free, and available to us all every day! Spend a few minutes of your time with your feet on the Earth today and see how you feel!